Tag Archives: Kaisercraft

Craft #8- Card Fails, and learning a new skill

19 Jan

Some of these are pretty embarrassing.. But it takes a while to learn how you like to style things! These were some of my first attempts at card making- with or without the Silhouette machine.


1: While waiting for my Silhouette machine to arrive, I made a few cards with the Kaisercraft range, ‘Butterfly Kisses’, and some randomly matching ribbon. The strip of butterflies was a pre cut sticker, as was the pink and white hearts just under it.
For the inside I used a Martha Stewart edge punch as it felt a bit boring. I didn’t hate this too much- there is worse ahead.

1507588_10152748779535168_4320675317818230735_n 10934083_10152748779500168_6754034052362603094_n


2: One of the first ever cards I made using the Silhouette. Badly. I hated it right away. And still do

DSCN1777


3: My poor Mum really did get a few of the shoddy ones at the start. This was the first ‘pattern’ I had bought, and quite frankly I didn’t know what to do with it! Sorry, Mum. We shall call this, ‘the learning curve’ 
DSCN1772
DSCN1774


4: This one was also a pattern, back when I was learning how to design my own. The card looked so plain with only the cupcake, I added a personal message (an abbreviation my friend and I use frequently) as well as the side of checked yellow. Still, I think I liked the inside better than the outside.
This was around the time I was realising I could do a better job if I designed the whole card myself.

DSCN1775 DSCN1776


5: This is where I learned moderation. What a disaster! Very much not what I had had in mind. The lettering ended up far too dark, glitter glue spilled over the ‘lake’ edges, and just way too much going on.

card6


I’d love to see some of your attempts ‘gone badly’!

Advertisements

Craft #6- Kaisercraft Large Desk Organiser

17 Jan

Last year I became addicted to Kaisercraft’s ‘Beyond The Page’ range. This is how I decorated my large desk organiser 🙂

The first thing you start with is a flat pack- its surprisingly heavy! There are no instructions inside, so its a bit of a ‘make it up as you go’ project.

20130715-152240

I began by putting together the wooden pieces so that I could understand which way they would face, and what needed to be covered with paper rather than paint. I wrote on each piece with pencil, but really you could use anything- it’ll get covered up in the end!

SB2084-large-desk-organiser-web

Then I painted the edges and ‘plain sides’ with a purple paint I’ve used a lot of in my room. For the paper I used Kaisercraft’s ‘Magic Happens’ range (they stopped making this a while ago, but you can sometimes still find it in craft stores) as well as two other sheets of co-ordinating paper.
I used Mod Podge to coat the paint on the outside of the organiser, but not the inside, as you can see here, it is a slightly different shade of purple.

IMG_3124

To get the shape for the curved paper, I just laid out the (still flat) piece of wood and traced around it, then cut slightly inside the marked line. I was saving the striped paper for something special, and I’m glad I did, because now I get to see it all the time!

IMG_3123

I didn’t really like the finger pull drawers, so I purchased some unvarnished wooden knobs from Bunnings for about $2 each and painted them the same purple colour (I did consider silver) and glued a gem in the centre. Then I simply turned the drawers around, and used the back as the front. In this photo you can see the back of one of the drawers, with the finger pull gap.

IMG_3125

I very carefully used my strongest clear craft glue to stick the drawers together. I wanted all the boxes to be perfectly square. I painted around the edges before sticking down the paper, as I wanted them all to be uniform, and also its very difficult to get the paper neatly to the edge of the drawer- this was like cheating. Then I glued down the knobs. Because they were quite heavy, I left them to dry overnight.

The final part was gluing together the wooden pieces, again I used a kick arse glue. Then I added some paper flowers in positions that wouldn’t affect the drawers being opened. And, surprisingly for me, I was happy with it!

IMG_3122